Village Life - Aberkenfig and Sheilagh's Thoughts...

This is a place for stray thoughts and musings on and from my home village after thirty-odd yearsaway.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bridgend, Wales, United Kingdom

I have recently moved back to Aberkenfig, my home village and have decided to write about it. I have a mixed Welsh, English and Maltese heritage and have spent some time (decades!)in Cardiff. I gave up fulltime work to go part-time and write. I am a mediator, trainer, facilitator, advocate and consultant and also do regular work with adults with learning disabilities - and love doing so. What else? I'm a very contented feminist living a pleasant life back in the village...

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The joy of lanolin...




I recently acquired some sheepfat (lovely!) shampoo which smells really nice, and took me straight back to the shampoo of my youth. It is the only powder shampoo that I can ever remember seeing and was made by Vaseline. I can't find a picture, but remember it (possibly wrongly) as a powder in a green and yellow packet. Found an ad that mentions the powder shampoo. Fourpence-ha'penny is about one and a half to two pence...

Our shampoo was from Roberts' shop in Brynmenyn, just off Bryn Road (A4065) opposite the common and before you get to the school as you head for the centre of the village and railway crossing. It's still there, but now converted to a house.



Roberts' used to sell loose biscuits in those big square bins similar to these:


They also sold loose cheese and frying ham that they sliced for you. My father and younger sister loved the cheese melted on an enamel plate that was used mainly for this purpose - Dad with the addition of HP sauce - I still have the plate.

Mrs. Roberts also ran the wool shop which was just across the way and I'd buy tights on Mum's account if I laddered mine at school - that felt very swish at the time!

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger frankie said...

The shampoo WAS powder in a green and yellow packet, I remember it well.
As a (young) teenager I once walked from Sarn with my pal, Kay Ashman to Brynmenyn because there was a dance on.

Friday, September 8, 2017 at 7:13:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home